Tuesday, July 26, 2011

My 1st Garden

We decided last minute this year to plant a garden. We planted June 5th. A little late, right? Maybe not?
I purchased 5 tomato plants from the green house in Vale (total bargain) and then bought 2 squash plants and 2 zucchini plants from home depot with our wedding gift cards!

We pick our first cherry tomatoes a few days ago and we have LOTS of green tomatoes!We can't wait for them to start turning! We also have a good amount of zucchini and squash coming in.

What have I learned in planting my first garden?
1) Plant the plants MUCH FURTHER APART! I can't believe how much they grow! Haha!

2) Make sure to have a cage for EVERY tomato plant, I thought the cherry tomato plants might be able to go without, putting a cage around it later is very difficult!

3) Plant in a raised bed, after planting and watering for about week, my plants sunk about 1"-2", they might be doing better if they were slightly raised!


I have learned a lot in planting my first little garden and we are looking forward to eating the rewards along with planting a better garden next year! Are you wondering what kind of tomato cages those are? They are ghetto-home made cages. I stole them (they were given) from my parents. I remember using them as kids! Thank goodness too, I purchased 1 cage for our last plant (the cherry plant I thought could go without), the purchased one was $8! Thank goodness I didn't have to buy 5 cages! YUCK! I hate buying things like that! But now we have 5 cages for next year!

1 comment: