Sunday, September 9, 2012

Personalized Vase Tutorial

A few months ago I received a facebook message from one of my best girlfriends boyfriend. Josh was letting me know he was going to propose to Bridget on Aug 24th in Portland and that he was also planning a surprise engagement party with her closest friends to follow. He wanted to let my mom and I know in case we could make it. I was so excited for Bridget, I immediately emailed and called my mom and we decided we were not going to miss it for the world!

As Aug 24th was approaching we were thinking about an engagement gift for her. I wanted it to be something special because she is so special to me.

I looked on Pinterest and wedding websites for ideas and decided I was going to make something for her. During my searches I found this vase and was inspired. I was thinking about my options and how I could make it. During my brainstorming I emailed my super-craft-cousin, Tiffany. If you spend a few minutes on her blog you'll understand why I reached out to her for ideas. Between her ideas and mine, I had a plan!

Here is how it went!
I went to Michaels Craft Warehouse (with my coupons of course) and bought a square glass vase and bright/fun scrapbook paper.

I created a word document on my computer with what I wanted the vase to say and planned the vase layout in my mind and printed! Advice, be certain you have the word document set to the paper size (scrapbook paper is larger than printer paper DUH and your margins are set as small as possible). 

I had all my supplies and was ready to start cutting and gluing. 

 I wanted the bottom to be the black and white floral print paper, so I started with that.
I kind of wrapped it like it was wrapping paper, however I cut the excess 
paper away so it wouldn't be thick. 
I used Mog Podge glue. This is a water-proof craft glue. 


Next I used the Mog Podge to glue on the turquoise paper. This was the paper I printed on. 
I was very careful to not get glue on the ink as I was worried it might smear it. 


Then I added a black stripe at the top, and a black stripe over the seam between the floral and the turquoise. I was done gluing the paper to the vase. 


Now the tricky part, how to make it water proof!??
Well, I used wood shellac. I brushed it on in thin coats (2-3 coats) and made sure it was dry
before applying another coat. I think it did the trick. I need to follow up with 
Bridget and ask if it is waterproof!!  



When we arrived in Portland, our first stop was a flower shop to fill the vase! 
We were very happy with how it turned out! 
We were staying at the same hotel as Bridget and Josh so it was to be delivered to their room after left for the part so she had another surprise waiting for her after her exciting night. 

More to come on the proposal and engagement party! 

A few things I learned and would change if making this again (which I am sure I will). 
I would make my word document be a little different, I repeated the same saying, so they would wrap around the vase. However, I didn't adjust their staring point, so all of the Josh & Bridget are lined up. I would also find a smaller vase so there are fewer seams. I have 2 seams in the back of the vase rather than just one because the vase was larger than my paper. 
If you make one and have additional suggestions, let me know! 




No comments:

Post a Comment